Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 15:57:17 -0500

Fotis Georgatos <address@hidden>:
> As regards $subject, this so-called STRING_ENCODING_CHARMAP may be relevant:
https://github.com/hpcugent/easybuild-framework/blob/master/easybuild/tools/filetools.py#L59
Look around line L1000 for the rational of that design and some pointers.

> Basically, ` ` becomes `_space_` and so on, for many more potentially tricky
> characters.
The aim was to have freedom in relation to packages/filenames. It seems to work
OK! (*)

That is an interesting idea. I do worry that it too easily collides with normal
names. Perhaps a double underscore before and after the key word would counter
that problem.

You still need to generate the correct values in makefiles and elsewhere. But
clearly the first step is to have an unambiguous representation.
--- David A.Wheeler