Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 10:14:26 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015, David A. Wheeler wrote:

I just thought of an alternative. What if program searching did NOT insert the
directory path in front? At least if the path includes a space and the
directory is part of the PATH?  Seems to me that AC_CHECK_PROG could be
modified to allow something like this as this as an option.

E.g. when using AC_CHECK_PROG to search for "sbcl", the generated makefile
would say:
SBCL = sbcl

This introduces security/reliability issues and also hazards if one of the build products was called 'sbcl' or if PATH is updated as part of the build/test process.

Do you know what the output of AC_CHECK_PROG is used for? If you don't know the answer, then the output should not be changed.

I do know that this would cause reliability/security problems for the package I maintain.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn