macro which returns found compiler for given language?

From: Diab Jerius
Subject: macro which returns found compiler for given language?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 11:59:03 -0400

I'm trying to determine the version of GNU Fortran by parsing the
compiler's standard output when passed the --version option.

I cannot use AC_COMPILE_IFELSE, as the compiler doesn't generate an
object file when passed --version, and AC_COMPILE_IFELSE requires that
for success.

I've resorted to using the _AC_CC macro to get the name of the
compiler so that I can execute it directly, but that's not good
practice.

Is there a public macro which provides the compiler for a given language?

Thanks,

Diab