Re: Using LLVM with Autotools

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: Using LLVM with Autotools
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 12:00:38 -0400

> The bad news is, the llvm-config in the current path is not likely to be
> the right one (e.g. Ubuntu 14.04 thinks LLVM 3.4 is the latest version
> whereas it's actually up to 3.8, and the differences between versions do
> matter) so the user or packager needs to supply a path to the correct
> llvm-config. What's the best way to do this?

I've run into this a few times due to unrecognized triplets on mobile platforms.

I've found reaching out to the package maintainer is the best course
of action. When you contact them, clearly state:

  (1) the problem you are encountering
  (2) how to solve the problem

In the case of the missing triplets and updated Autoconf files, I
usually provide a prescriptive recipe:

    wget https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-latest.tar.xz
    tar xf autoconf-latest.tar.xz
    autoconf-2.69