Re: Question on configure summary with subpackages

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Question on configure summary with subpackages
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 11:07:45 -0500

On 09/02/2016 08:45 AM, Juergen Reuter wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'm using autoconf for my software package which has several subpackages
> included via the AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS. The configure output then looks like
> this:
> <configure output main package>
> <configure output subpackage 1>
> <configure output subpackage 2>
> <configure output subpackage n>
> Is it possible to get a configure summary for the whole package
> after the output of the last subpackage n? (a summary that e.g.
> contains information on chosen options, enable features etc.)
> Any help would be much appreciated!

Per the documentation, any code you put after AC_OUTPUT is run after
config.status (and thus the subconfigures) have been run.  So you can
add shell code to your top-level configure.ac that summarizes whatever
it wants, and that code will execute (and thus output) after the
subpackage configure output.

However, it may be trickier to figure out how to make the parent
configure report the status of decisions that were only made within a
subconfigure (there's an obvious flow of information from parent to
child, but pretty much only exit status and scraping log files to get
information from child back to parent).