Re: autoconf: AC_SYS_LARGEFILE documentation misleading

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: autoconf: AC_SYS_LARGEFILE documentation misleading
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 10:59:55 -0600

On 01/25/2017 10:45 AM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> This is even more unfortunate, because now, if any program includes
> a glibc system header before "config.h", the definition will be
> ignored, because it comes too late.

This is wrong. The manual clearly states that config.h MUST be included
prior to any system headers, precisely because config.h can influence
what system headers do.  In fact, gnulib offers a 'make syntax-check'
that, among other things, enforces that a project ALWAYS includes
config.h first.

> But that’s a different bug. This issue is about the documentation
> being wrong — please fix the documentation and raise this bug upstream
> (and this time, don’t let them tell you it’s not a bug because it most
> curtainly is).

Please propose a patch to the documentation, rather than just telling me
that it is wrong, so that we have a concrete proposal for a wording
improvement that we can discuss.