cl.exe and system types

From: Sébastien Hinderer
Subject: cl.exe and system types
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:11:52 +0200

Dear all,

I am writing an autoconf script for a project which is supposed to
compile under both Unix and Windows.

Under Windows, the project will be built under Cygwin but it should be
possible to use both MingW and cl.exe to compile it.

For the MingW case, giving thee right --host= option works just fine.
For the cl.exe case, though, I am not sure exactly what to do. Indeed
when I run

./configure CC=cl

Then configure detects the Microsoft C compiler properly. However the
host and target types will be cygwin as the build type. I am wondering
whether I should adjust host and target in case the C compiler is
detected to be cl.exe?

Are there known examples of projects that handle this situation properly
and where I could take inspiration from?

Many thanks in advance for any help / pointers!

Sébastien.