Re: cl.exe and system types

From: Sébastien Hinderer
Subject: Re: cl.exe and system types
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 19:48:12 +0200

Dear Bob,

Many thanks for your responses.

Bob Friesenhahn (2018/08/20 10:44 -0500):
> I don't know that MSVC is supported by Autotools.  It would be nice if it
> was.  Have you seen a statement that this is supported?

Well, here is what AC_PROG_CC outputs when running
$ ./configure CC=cl
checking for i686-pc-windows-gcc... cl
checking for C compiler default output file name... conftest.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking for suffix of object files... obj
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... no
checking whether cl accepts -g... yes
checking for cl option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cl -E

>From that, I inferred that cl is supported. Am I wrong here?

Also, in autoconf's documentaiotn, in section 5.10.3 (C compiler
characteristics) where the AC_PROG_CC macro is documented, one finds the
following example:

          AC_PROG_CC([gcc cl cc])

>From that, too, I inderred it was okay to use cl.exe in conjunction with
an autoconf script. Am I wrong here?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help in clarifying this!

Sébastien.