Re: cl.exe and system types

From: Earnie
Subject: Re: cl.exe and system types
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 13:08:51 -0400

On 8/23/2018 7:14 AM, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:

> One question I still have is about the possible values for the arguments
> to --build & co. Is there a specification or an exhaustive list
> somewhere? I know the general syntax but I'd like to figure out what
> would be the best values for our Windows builds, given that the build
> environment will probably be cygwin-related (for that I can use the result
> of AC_CANONICAL_BUILD) but the host may be something different given
> that we produce three kinds of binaries: cygwin ones, those compiled
> with MingW and those compiled for msvc. I'd need to make sure which host
> to use for these three categories (for Cygwin binaries it will be
> identical to --build, that's not a big deal), and this in both 32 and 64
> bits mode.

It's going to depend on what you want.  If you're using the crosstools
for MinGW-w64 then you would specify --host as {i686,x86_64}-w64-mingw32
and --build as {i686,x86_64}-pc-cygwin.  If you're using MSVC, there is
no crosstool chain of software so you specify a fictitious --host and
--build to be the same such as {i686,x86_64}-pc-msvc and point the
environment variables to the binaries.  IIRC, The 64bit version of
Cygwin has a cross build for the 32bit version[1] so the --host would be
i686-pc-cygwin and config.guess can figure out the --build or you can
specify it as x86_64-pc-cygwin.

[1]
https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=i686-pc-cygwin&arch=x86_64

--