automake-ng

Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] [ng] automake: remove support for threaded execu

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] [ng] automake: remove support for threaded execution
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 16:02:17 +0200

Le 30 juil. 2012 à 21:27, Stefano Lattarini a écrit :

> Why are we removing such a nice feature, especially in a world where
> multicore systems are becoming the norm?

Sorry I took so long to answer.

IMHO there are two major features provided by multiple makefiles.  One is that
you can "scope" variables, so you can set AM_CPPFLAGS = -Werror here, and not
there.  Alternatives with a single Makefile are all much more painful.  The
other is "scopes" for targets: make check -C DIR is very handy to check a given
set of features.  This is much easier than make check-FEATURE, as you just have
to run "ls" to know what you are looking for.  Maybe "make help" or some magic
means to get a list of useful targets would be nice (make list-check for
instance could list all the check* targets too).  Of course local convenience
Makefiles that just bounce to the main one, would make this issue softer.

So I can understand why people would keep several Makefiles.  And we are
talking about people whose Automake-run-time is *four minutes*!!!  A single
large Makefile.am also means there is less "separated compilation": a change in
a single place might trigger a much larger rebuild.

So I'm feeling uncomfortable with this change, yet I understand your
motivations.

Tough decision.

If you're sure you can improve the maintainer life for such packages, then fine.