automake-ng

[Automake-NG] My "forks" of GNU projects to test Automake-NG

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: [Automake-NG] My "forks" of GNU projects to test Automake-NG
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 15:28:01 +0200

Hi Akim, Jim, automakers.

I'm not sure whether you are aware of this, but I've been using Automake-NG
already on several GNU projects, and the results so far seems very promising.
In particular, the numbers of fixes, hacks and changes required to make the
build systems of such projects work with Automake-NG has been remarkably low.

In case you are interested in trying out such forks, or merely peeking at
them, here are their GitHub clones:

  <https://github.com/slattarini/autoconf-am-ng>
  <https://github.com/slattarini/parted-am-ng>
  <https://github.com/slattarini/bison-am-ng>
  <https://github.com/slattarini/grep-am-ng>
  <https://github.com/slattarini/m4-am-ng>
  <https://github.com/slattarini/coreutils-am-ng>

I hope I'll be able to add DejaGNU and GNU Smalltalk to the list of such
projects before the end the GSoC (no promise though).

And if anyone reading this would like to start experimenting with Automake-NG
with his own packages: please feel free to ask here if you have any doubt,
and to report here your progresses or complaints -- such feedback would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
  Stefano