automake-ng

Re: [Automake-NG] My "forks" of GNU projects to test Automake-NG

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] My "forks" of GNU projects to test Automake-NG
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 23:23:10 +0200

On 08/09/2012 11:10 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>> Hi Akim, Jim, automakers.
>>
>> I'm not sure whether you are aware of this, but I've been using Automake-NG
>> already on several GNU projects, and the results so far seems very promising.
>> In particular, the numbers of fixes, hacks and changes required to make the
>> build systems of such projects work with Automake-NG has been remarkably low.
>
> As expected/hoped :-)
>
>> In case you are interested in trying out such forks, or merely peeking at
>> them, here are their GitHub clones:
>>
>>   <https://github.com/slattarini/autoconf-am-ng>
>>   <https://github.com/slattarini/parted-am-ng>
>>   <https://github.com/slattarini/bison-am-ng>
>>   <https://github.com/slattarini/grep-am-ng>
>>   <https://github.com/slattarini/m4-am-ng>
>>   <https://github.com/slattarini/coreutils-am-ng>
>
> Thanks for working on those!

Thanks for the appreciation :-)

A word of caution: of the projects above, I have copyright papers in
place only for coreutils and autoconf.  I'm ready to assign the copyright
for the other projects as well (with the hope my forks will be merged
into branches of the official repositories eventually, once Automake-NG
has become stable enough); but at this point I refuse to sign any more
paperwork that is not a blanket assignment, as I find it crazy to have
to sign different papers for each package I give a small-but-not-trivial
code contribution to.

Regards,
  Stefano