automake

Re: slow "make clean"

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: slow "make clean"
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 17:56:35 +0100

* Ralf Hemmecke wrote on Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 03:10:39PM CET:
> >You mean, as a workaround until Automake is improved?  You could
> >overwrite the rule in your Makefile.am:
> >
> >mostlyclean-compile:
> >     -find . -name \*.lo -o -name \*.$(OBJEXT) -print | xargs rm -f
> >
> >But note that automake may generate other files that would need to be
> >mostlyclean'ed too, so the above could be insufficient for your project.
>
> Thanks, that seems to work as a workaround.

(BTW, just in case anyone is wondering now: the above rule is not
suitable for use in Automake because it can be severely suboptimal
if, say, only a couple of objects are built in the current directory
but there is a huge build directory tree which find would traverse.)

> But, of course, it would be
> good, if I knew what will be generated, so that I can clean everything even
> when Makefile.am changes slightly. Is there a variable that already contains
> every name of MAKE-generated files?

Nope, sorry.

> >Thanks for the report,
>
> No problem. But I was a bit surprised that I haven't found any proper
> bugtracker. Now, I have to subscribe to automake-patches and try to figure
> out when automake will have improvements that fix the slow "make clean"
> problem instead of just subscribing to the specific bug report.

We have a bug tracker.  Just write to the bug-automake list.
This is documented at
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Reporting-Bugs.html
which is linked from the Automake home page
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/

Cheers,
Ralf