Re: [avr-chat] AVR on 1 AA bat with just 1 L and 1 C

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR on 1 AA bat with just 1 L and 1 C
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:30:52 +0100 (MET)

address@hidden wrote:

> Yes, ATtiny15L does have the band gap reference, so it should be
> possible to determine Vcc.

Why don't you just give the idea a try?  An ATtiny15 is quite cheap,
and to be on the safe side, you can always add a fat 6.2 V Z-diode in
your lab experiment to limit the resulting voltage (and maybe an
additional safety diode from the port pin to Vcc).  If you use a used
R6 battery (so its internal resistance has already raised a bit), that
should be enough as protection.  AVRs are quite robust in practice, as
long as you don't completely overheat them, of feed much too much
current into a single pin.

I've once accidentally inserted an AT90S8515 into an STK500 the wrong
way (+5 V to GND, 0 V to VCC) -- and that part did survive it.  I'm
quite impressed.  The power-supply circuitry of the STK isn't what I'd
call a `soft' one, so several hundred mA must have been flown.  (The
AVR got quite warm indeed.)

Btw., I'm glad people are accepting that avr-chat list so well.  We've
been a bit sceptical when transferring the lists from avr1.org to
savannah what to do with avr-chat, so I'm more than happy the
not-so-technical or not-so-GCC discussions now really end up here.