Re: [avr-chat] Best DIY programmer/debugger

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Best DIY programmer/debugger
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 09:30:25 -0500

Simon Lundell wrote:

> Are there any DIY programmers that support debugging ...

Is it for low cost or the fun of building it yourself that you want a DIY
device?  If it's just the cost, there are a number of field tested clones of
the Atmel JTAG ICE available ...

*** ADVERTISING ALERT! ***

... including my very own "AVR ICE-Cube".  I also have some accessories that
allow you to use on-chip debugging with the Atmel STK500, which does not
have built-in support for that.  One of these, which I incorrectly placed in
the General Products area rather than in the Atmel AVR area of my Web site,
is an expansion board for the STK500 with a JTAG header on the side.  With
this, you can prototype your own circuits and debug your software.

I'm afraid I can't supply the AVR ICE-Cube as a kit because of its compact
design.  There are some surface-mount parts on there that are pretty tricky
to assemble by hand.

Graham.
http://www.ecrostech.com