[avr-chat] the evil 8051

From: Steve Franks
Subject: [avr-chat] the evil 8051
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:19:41 -0700

Hey all,

Seeing as anyone who makes a new application specific chunk of hardware
(read: Zigbee) and doesn't know squat about micros always picks an 8051 (is
there some asic mfr out there selling 8051 cores on the cheap?):

Anyone heard murmurings about a Win8051(Gcc) project?  SDCC is nice, but C++
(most esp. template classes for HAL) definitely now have their place in
embedded systems.  Besides which, I like the standardization of gcc.
Single-supplier tools (open-source or commercial for that matter) give me
the 'willies'.

Steve