[avr-chat] ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: [avr-chat] ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 04:54:52 +0100

Hello...

I guess it had to happen... I reprogrammed the fuse bits of my ATmega32,
and now it doesn't work anymore and Avrdude can't connect to it
anymore... :-/

I have been using it for two months on the internal 1MHz RC oscillator,
but now I need to use it at full speed, so I connected a 16Mhz crystal
and a couple 22pF capacitors, and read the data sheet to figure out the
fuse bits. But apparently I somehow screwed up, the chip doesn't run
anymore (all I can see on the XTAL pins is a constant 2+ Volts).
The best I could figure out for a 16MHz crystal clock source is:

CKOPT = 0
SU = 11
CKSEL 3:0 = 1111

If anyone runs successfully an ATmega32 with a 16MHz crystal, what
settings did you use ?

According to the datasheet, I can reprogram the fuse bits in parallel
mode, or JTAG, but sadly I don't have a parallel programmer, I only use
SPI with a DIY parallel port cable and avrdude. And as for JTAG... it
won't work as I happened to disable it last week, as I needed to use
PORTC...

So I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what's wrong in my
clock bits, and also, if anyone in France or nearby (Joerg ?! ;-), has
the facility to get the fuses back with parallel mode programming, I
would be soooo happy. I mean, the chip costs 15 Euros including VAT, so
it's worth paying a little postage fee to rescue it. I have got a couple
spare mega32 to keep me going in the interim.

Regards,

--
Vince, very much annoyed...