[avr-chat] GNU toolchain: which releases (especially avr-gcc) to use?

From: devusr.uh (Uwe)
Subject: [avr-chat] GNU toolchain: which releases (especially avr-gcc) to use?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:11:59 +0100

Hello all!

I am a newbie to the AVR world, I already put my ATmega32 on a breadboard, and compiled the toolchain w/ gcc 3.4.3 sources and gave the 4.0.2 sources a try (well, actually a shell script did the job plus user space installation under Linux) w/o a problem.

Even the obvious "Hello World" compiled pretty nice, but then something hit me. As I did some 'RTFM' I came across some postings which told about some 'major problems' with using gcc-4.0.x for compiling C sources for the AVR microcontrollers. Do this 'problems' really exist?

Most of the installation hints for the toolchain which I found used gcc-3.4.3 and avr-libc-1.2.x . Now I am wondering which release number is recommended for each packet in the toolchain. It seems to me that it is OK to use the newest releases (apart from the gcc sources). But then: Which gcc source should be used? 3.4.5 (latest of the 3.4 branch), 3.4.3 (for what reason?) or even 4.0.2? Is it important w/ which gcc the binutils/gcc sources are compiled (I used 3.4.1 and 4.0.0)? I understand there is this YMMV (TM) thingy. Can you give me some advice on which sources (w/ release numbers) a current (not 'bleeding edge' [speak 'CVS'], only stable releases) toolchain consist?

Here are the versions/packets which I installed so far:
VERSION_AVR_LIBC=1.4.0
VERSION_BINUTILS=2.16
VERSION_GCC_CORE=4.0.2 or 3.4.3
VERSION_UISP=20050207
VERSION_AVRDUDE=5.0
Procyon AVRlib=Monday October 24, 2005

I understand that w/ uisp and avrdude I have got redundant programs. After reading a thread about those programs I guess I will end up with avrdude.

I would to use avr-libc due to its easy-to-read defintion of ISR routines. Is there a problem when I mix my code for 1.4.0 with code like the Procyon sources (which still use the old signal.h)?

I use Mandrake 10.1o w/ a 2.6.8.1 kernel. Not the bleeding edge, I know. ;-)

TIA!

Best regards, Uwe.