Re: [avr-chat] GNU toolchain: which releases (especially avr-gcc) to use

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] GNU toolchain: which releases (especially avr-gcc) to use?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:30:02 -0700

devusr.uh (Uwe) wrote:
Hello all!

I am a newbie to the AVR world,

Here are the versions/packets which I installed so far:
VERSION_AVR_LIBC=1.4.0
VERSION_BINUTILS=2.16
VERSION_GCC_CORE=4.0.2 or 3.4.3
VERSION_UISP=20050207
VERSION_AVRDUDE=5.0
Procyon AVRlib=Monday October 24, 2005

I would suggest:
binutils 2.16.1
gcc 3.4.5
avr-libc 1.4.2
avrdude (whatever the latest is)

I understand that w/ uisp and avrdude I have got redundant programs. After reading a thread about those programs I guess I will end up with avrdude.

uisp is not very well maintained any more, and avrdude should contain all features that are found in uisp. Plus avrdude works on Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X, and Windows. So I would suggest that you drop uisp all together.

--
Eric Weddington