Re: [avr-chat] --target vs. --host when building AVR toolchain?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] --target vs. --host when building AVR toolchain?
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 21:44:09 +0200 (MET DST)

Rolf Magnus <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I've been using --target=avr, but when I tried to build libc-1.4.4,
>> it complained and suggested I use --host instead. That seemed to
>> work.

> A compiler and a library are two different things.

Exactly.  Binutils and GCC are used as cross-compilation tools, so
they need the --target=avr configuration (as they run on a different
host architecture).  avr-libc however runs on the AVR "host"
architecture, even though it is used by a compiler/linker running on a
different architecture, so it needs the --host=avr configuration.

I never really understood why this could not be inferred
automagically, but this appears to be an auto* tools thing to me, and
it's just the way Ted Roth left us this stuff (basically the last
major project of his before he went away).  As I don't pretend to be
an auto* tools expert, and everything else works rather well the way
he created all that configuration framework, I'm not inclined to
change it again.