Re: [avr-chat] 32768 Hz clock

From: Hugo González Monteverde
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] 32768 Hz clock
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 23:45:44 -0500

> However, comparing to my wristwatch,  I find my clock falls behind about
> 1 minute every hour, so after 10 hrs, it's behind by 10 mins! My code
> above seems OK. Are there any hardware issues I need to address? Thanks
> for any help!

Totally.

This is realted to the capacitances you connect to the crystal. I am not an expert at this, but check application notes for crystal considerations, such as the one from Dallas. They actually explain a bit:

"The frequency accuracy of a crystal-based oscillator circuit is mainly dependent upon the accuracy of the crystal and the accuracy of the match between the crystal and the oscillator capacitive load."

Take a look at it :

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/58

Hope that helps.

Hugo