Re: [avr-chat] AVR Documentation

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR Documentation
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:40:02 +0100 (MET)

Eric Weddington <address@hidden> wrote:

> What I don't want to see is the community going that way again, with
> fragmented documentation spread all over individual sites.

Still, the Wiki could (and probably will some day) be a very nice
companion to the official documentation.  I can only repeat it, for
those who can read German, I think it might eventually evolve the same
way as the Wiki on http://www.mikrocontroller.net/ .  This is somewhat
like *the* German web forum for microcontrollers (not only AVR), and
there used to be an AVR Tutorial initially written by the operator of
that site, which then became the initial input of the Wiki-based AVR
tutorial it is now.

I see similar prospects for the avrfreaks.net Wiki (and I'm glad the
rumours about their Wiki finally materialized): while it must not try
to replace official project documentation, it can go beyond that
documentation in providing something like an "Idiot's guide to your
first AVR project".  The avr-libc doc examples aim to get first-time
AVR users started with the AVR, but they concentrate on the technical
details, so their prerequisite level is not zero, i.e. you should
already basically know a bit about controllers, about how to solder
the stuff together etc.  The Wiki can then accompany that by
explaining all these basics as well (and this is usually best written
by someone who has just been passing that part of their lurning
curve).  As for official documentation, it should be fairly easy in
the Wiki to simply link to it.