Re: [avr-chat] PC Communication

From: Suhas Pharkute
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] PC Communication
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:16:32 -0600

Well thx for the tutorial, It is helpful

The question is very simple, I would like to Monitor a sensor input on the PC constantly. There is a serial port interface available but then it will take 2 ports from PC (one for ISP and other for Serial Comm), I was wondering can it be done thr' single PC port ?

Just want to send program and monitor the port thr' single PC port

Possible?

Suhas

On 3/19/07, NEMEC, BENJAMIN < address@hidden> wrote:

Suhas:

> Is there any way to communicate to PC back using ISP when program execution is in place.
Do you understand that ISP means (In System Programming) ?  Why do you want to do this?

Suhas:

> I know I can read/write a block from ISP but that will need to put Processor in prog mode and will halt the exection, correct?

Not necessarily, depends if your AVR has a RWW section of FLASH, but I think that is not what you are looking for.

What are you trying to do?

Have you read the appropriate datasheet(s) and appnotes?

A couple appnotes come to mind.  I know there is one specific to ISP and another specific to using the AVR UART and USARTs.  I think you need to read those as well as the datasheet for the AVR you are using.

And please go read this tutorial written by Eric S. Raymond et al., How To Ask Questions The Smart Way:

Ben Nemec

Is there any way to communicate to PC back using ISP when program execution is in place.

Or can I write a loop that will look for PC input/output for interaction

I know I can read/write a block from ISP but that will need to put Processor in prog mode and will halt the exection, correct?

Please help

Suhas