Re: [avr-chat] PC Communication

From: Juergen Harms
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] PC Communication
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:40:04 +0100

I read the question in a slightly different way: is it possible to multiplex (a) the the Programmer´s serial I/O and (b) the User uart I/O to a single PC com port?

As far as I know it is not possible in a standard way to simultaneously link both channels to a single com port.

If you have a desktop with COM0 and COM1 ports, you can connect your programmer to one and the user I/O to the other (and start on one your studio/avrdude session and on the other a hyperterminal/minicom session).

In case you just have one com port, you might possibly be able to create an additional one using a pcmcia card - I have seen that there exist (quite expensive) pcmcia-to-comport cards, but I never had a close look at this kind of device.

Have you considered to get hold of a no more used laptop or PC (maybe you find one with a bad battery, too slow CPU, too little memory ... - hyperterminal or minicom do not need much resources) and use it just like a plain old terminal?

Cheers, Juergen