Re: [avr-chat] extreme slowness debugging with avarice + avr-gdb + mega3

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] extreme slowness debugging with avarice + avr-gdb + mega32 + dragon?
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:16:38 +0200 (MET DST)

"Britton Kerin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think all this looks good.  The trouble is that executing a single
> line seems to take about 15 seconds.  Is this normal?

Looks a bit slow, indeed.  In general, the JTAG ICE round-trip appears
to take its time though.  I usually avoid single-stepping of too large
portions of code, and rather try to set temporary breakpoints.

You might try increasing the JTAG bitrate, as long as the operation is
stable, I think you will be able to run it faster.  In fact, even with
the default 1 MHz oscillator, I never really bothered to tune the
AVaRICE bit rate, so I guess I've been successfully debugging with a 1
MHz rate quite frequently.

I rewrote the entire USB handling in AVaRICE, and there's one
outstanding patch for it (that affects debugWire operation), so I'm
positive the next release will improve the USB operational speed quite
a bit.  If you want to test-drive the current CVS version, drop me an
email, and I can send it to you.