Re: [avr-chat] Strange Timer Damage on ATMega16?

From: David VanHorn
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Strange Timer Damage on ATMega16?
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:10:34 -0500

> I would be very suspicious of having a burnt-out microcontroller in a motor
> drive circuit.  If it happens in the lab, it will surely happen in the field.

Is the AVR somehow connected directly to the motor?
Generally, microcontrollers shouldn't be connected directly to I/O devices.
Only very "tame" ones, like LEDs and switches, LCD displays and such
should connect directly, and even then, there needs to be protection
between the device and the micro to insure current limits are met, and
that ESD and EMI are handled.