[avr-chat] good C libraries for using ATmega168 in robotics?

From: Joe Strout
Subject: [avr-chat] good C libraries for using ATmega168 in robotics?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:50:10 -0600

I'm still a newbie to AVR programming -- I've gotten successfully (with some help from kind folks here and elsewhere) to the blinky- light stage on the ATmega48 and 168, but now I want to take it to the next stage. While I like being able to find out what's happening on the metal, I'm also happy to not reinvent the wheel.

With that in mind, I'd like to find a good library to learn, grow comfy with, and recommend to other newbies in my local club. I'm aware of these two:

1. Procyon AVRlib:
<http://www.mil.ufl.edu/~chrisarnold/components/microcontrollerBoard/AVR/avrlib/ >

2. Orangutan-lib:
  <http://orangutan-lib.sourceforge.net/>

The latter is really intended for use with the Pololu Orangutan controllers, but those are based on the same ATmega168 chip I'm using, so ought to be mostly applicable.

Are there any others I should be looking into? Any opinions, props, or caveats for the above?

In case it matters, about half of our club is using avr-gcc, while the other half is using WinAVR, so a library that works cleanly out of the box on both would be preferred.

Thanks,
- Joe