Re: [avr-chat] What does potential Microchip buy out of Atmel mean for f

From: Ruud Vlaming
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] What does potential Microchip buy out of Atmel mean for future of AVR?
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:06:09 +0200

On Thursday 02 October 2008 21:35, Bob Paddock wrote:
> My boss just came in my cube in a panic asked "What have
> you heard about Microchip and On Semi. buying Atmel?
> Is this going to be a problem for us?"
>
> He is worried that Microchip will kill the AVR, that
> we use by the tens of thousands per year.
Although it is unlikely that the will stop production
of a chip that is sure business, they can easily stop
innovation and development in that direction.
AVR is still very much "alive and kicking", and it
should stay that way.

> http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210605267
It is realy bad news. I sincerely hope the management
of Atmel is able to withstand the pressure and keep off
this deal.

Ruud.