Re: [avr-chat] What does potential Microchip buy out of Atmel mean for f

From: Xiaofan Chen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] What does potential Microchip buy out of Atmel mean for future of AVR?
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 07:21:46 +0800

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:49 AM, David VanHorn <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Bob Paddock <address@hidden> wrote:
>> My boss just came in my cube in a panic asked "What have
>> you heard about Microchip and On Semi. buying Atmel?
>> Is this going to be a problem for us?"
>
> On the other hand, maybe they'll dump the PIC!  (evil grin)
>
> Seriously, it's possible that they will keep the AVR, and give us
> tools that work, and real support!

If the offer will be successful (it has been rejected), I guess
it is hard for Microchip to keep all 8-bit MCU lines
(Atmel's 8051 and AVR, Microchop's PIC12/16/18).
I hope they keep all the lines though. At work, we
are using Atmel's 8051. And I was using PIC12/16
in the previous job. And AVR apparently beats most
of the PIC18 handsomely in terms of price and
performance. That is why Microchip started to
offer PIC18J and PIC18K.

Atmel's ARM line is quite good, maybe AVR32 would
be killed. And maybe PIC32 line would be killed as well.

Xiaofan