[avr-chat] avr processors as compared to 68000

From: Michael von Hauff
Subject: [avr-chat] avr processors as compared to 68000
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:58:28 -0600

Hi,

I am looking at starting a project with an avr chip. But I am wondering how they actually stack up compared to other microcontrollers in terms of raw cpu performance and onboard ram (I am not interested in A/D capabilities). I have a good idea of what the motorola 68000 is capable of (powers the sega genesis), so I would like to use that as a reference. I have spent some time on digikey so i can see ram sizes and clock speeds, but actual performence figures are not given.

With that in mind, I am also wondering about the price/performance. I could just go out and buy one of the new 32bit avrs and pick the highest clock speed, but I really dont think I will be needing a 32bit monster (unless its has really good price/perfomance ratio).

Any thoughts?

Mike.