Re: [avr-chat] avr processors as compared to 68000

From: Preston Wilson
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avr processors as compared to 68000
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:32:18 -0400

The 68K is a 32-bit monster itself, but a bit slow when compared to the current generation 32-bit micros, which includes both ColdFire and AVR32 parts along with many others. Why do you mention Sega Genesis?  That system has/had co-processors handling a lot of the specialized work in that gaming system.  Do you need that type of functionality?

You need to look at what your project needs are, and select a part that works for that project.

The requirements to programmatically flash an LED or two are vastly different than those to deliver audio and video like the current generation iPods offer (as just one example).  Flashing an LED or two can be done with a 555 timer, or an ATtiny12 if you want an actual micro controller.   If I were doing something that needed good quality audio and video, I would look at Atmel’s AT91SAM9261 (ARM 9) and AT32AP7002 (AVR32) parts along with many other choices out there.

-Preston

"Michael von Hauff" wrote:

Hi,

I am looking at starting a project with an avr chip. But I am wondering how they actually stack up compared to other microcontrollers in terms of raw cpu performance and onboard ram (I am not interested in A/D capabilities). I have a good idea of what the motorola 68000 is capable of (powers the sega genesis), so I would like to use that as a reference. I have spent some time on digikey so i can see ram sizes and clock speeds, but actual performence figures are not given.

With that in mind, I am also wondering about the price/performance. I could just go out and buy one of the new 32bit avrs and pick the highest clock speed, but I really dont think I will be needing a 32bit monster (unless its has really good price/perfomance ratio).

Any thoughts?

Mike.