Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude fails to connect to my Dragon...

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude fails to connect to my Dragon...
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:10:11 +0100

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:33:09 +1030
"Daniel O'Connor" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Try the -B option, although for me it doesn't seem to make a big difference
> (although I need -B 10 to program a new part due to the fuse settings).

Arf... it does make a difference here.. it makes it twice as slow with
a value of 10, makes the communication fail with 0.1, and with 0.15, it
makes it equally slow as it was with the DIY cable... 5 seconds for
10KB program.
If the chip erase is indeed the dominating overall programming time, I
suppose it's good news, 'cause the larger the program, the more the
actual download speed will prevail.

... oh no... the above is wrong. I just uploaded a 32KB PDF file (an
LCD controller datasheet.. dunno if my ATmega32 will make any sense of
it lol ! ;-), and the average download speed is still 100% the same.
Strange.. unless the chip erase was not a chip erase, and actually
erases only as much Flash as the program uses. So the erase time is
kinda proportional to the prgram size.
Must be that because if the chip erase was erasing 100% of the chip
then downloading this 32KB PDF should have taken much less time,
proportionally, than it took to download my 10KB program.

Grrr...

--
Vince