Re: [avr-chat] AVR EEPROM cell: Does 0xff mean it it is erased?

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR EEPROM cell: Does 0xff mean it it is erased?
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:16:14 -0400

> IIRC only Freescale HC12 flash erases to 0. At least thats the only I have
> encountered.

Some serial EEPROMs, at least old Xicor ones, erased to 0xFF but as
shipped from the factory they contained a "checker board" pattern.  Looked more
like junk when doing a read, because the rows and columns were
physically different
than what you would logically expect.

I asked the Xicro factory about that, and they set it was to expedite their
test times.  Ever since I've never made the assumption a new factory part
comes in the erased state, unless that is explicitly mentioned in the
data sheet,
of any programmable part.