Re: [avr-chat] Struggling to write usersig with avrdude on an xmega256a3

From: Travis Griggs
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Struggling to write usersig with avrdude on an xmega256a3
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 18:25:29 -0800

On Feb 8, 2013, at 12:02 AM, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:

> Travis Griggs <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> It fails at the verify step. Using the read variant of the above
>> (which works fine), I can see that it somehow mashed new write with
>> the old contents, ending up with something in between. So the verify
>> fails.
>
> Obviously, writes to the user signature area require it to be erased
> before.  This can happen through a chip erase (naturally), or through
> a page erase.
>
> The current (well, quite old now) released version of AVRDUDE did not
> support page erases.  The SVN version (to be released as 6.0 really
> soon now) does, and if I read the code correctly, is supposed to
> automatically perform a page erase for the usersig before programming
> it.  If you can, give it a try.
>
> If you are stuck with the old version, just program the user signature
> only once after a chip erase.

I'd love to give it a try. I've downloaded it from svn. I followed the
instructions. On OSX (10.8), I had to brew autoconf and automake, and then it
all seemed to build. I also had to create a symlink from
/usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf to the dl'ed one. Alas, with that fixed, it
complains it wasn't compiled with USB support. I'm assuming I need to do more
than just ./configure, but to actually ./configure with some options, but I
have no idea which options to enable so that it builds with USB support, and
for OSX. Would anyone on the list know?

--
Travis Griggs
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving." -Terry