Re: [avr-chat] Difficulty writing eeprom with JTAGICE3

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Difficulty writing eeprom with JTAGICE3
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:23:45 +0100 (MET)

Juergen Harms <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is this a known problem?

Basically, it is, yes.  However, I didn't have time to analyze
enough *why* this is the case, and what needs to be changed.  If
anyone wants to investigate (by comparing with what Atmel Studio
does), they are welcome.

In the JTAGICEmkII, single-byte EEPROM updates have been apparently
managed by the ICE telling the CPU to update the respective cell.  The
net effect of this was that these updates only worked if the OCDEN
fuse was set.

For the JTAGICE3, I still have no real clue about the requirements.

Page-wise updates, using the -U option on the commandline, are a
different thing, with a different set of problems.  On the
JTAGICEmkII, they only worked on an EEPROM that has been erased
before.  As there is no page-erase command (on non-Xmega AVRs), this
could only be accomplished by a device erase with the EESAVE fuse not
being set.

Finally, for Xmega devices, everything could be vastly different again.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/