Re: [avr-chat] avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer.

From: Martin Stejskal
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer.
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 15:16:23 +0200

 I know I just repeat Ormund answer, but.... do You have connected 8 MHz crystal (or any from 8 to 20 MHz) to your attiny2313 (pin 4 and pin 5)? Reason why AVR stop responding to avrdude is, that fuses changed clock source to external crystal. Until You not connect crystal, AVR will not have clock source, so it can not run!  Meanwhile in default factory settings is used internal clock source (so AVR have clock without need any external components). So connect crystal to pin 4 and pin 5 and then connect programming signals. Then AVR should respond. Rule of thumb: do not change fuses until you really know what are you doing. At least look at some fuse calc.

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 23:26:06 -0400
Ormund Williams <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-04-25 at 02:45 +0200, YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote:
> > avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
> ...snip...
> > I was able to do it just before I typed this:
> > $ sudo avrdude -p t2313 -c usbasp -U hfuse:w:0xdb:m -U lfuse:w:0xef:m
> >
> Are the fuse settings what you intended? an lfuse of 0xef means that you
> have a high frequency crystal attached, do you?

In fact, it is the first time I change the fuse settings on a micro-controller.
My objective was to build an USBtinyISP programmer (it uses an attiny2313 micro-controller).
I read that I have to do two things :
- send the firmware to the flash memory of my attiny2313
- change its fuse settings to have a high frequency

Also, in the Makefile I found in the USBtinyISP firmware archive, I can read:
$ cat usbtinyisp/spi/Makefile | grep avrdude
FLASH_CMD       = avrdude -c avrisp -pt2313 -U flash:w:main.hex
FUSE_CMD        = avrdude -c avrisp -pt2313 -U hfuse:w:0xdb:m -U lfuse:w:0xef:m

So that is why I have used these settings.
But now, I am unable to use avrdude again to send a program to my attiny2313 flash memory.
Is there a way to come back to the previous state where my attiny2313 was perfectly working ?