Re: [avr-gcc-list] Code Size

From: J Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Code Size
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:07:18 +0100 (MET)

Jonas Carlsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> How could I get information about how much of the program memory
> that have been used ?
> Can I read it in some file that avr-gcc generates ?

avr-size <name of your ELF output file>

..text is the code size, .data is the size of initialized data (RAM),
..bss is the size of uninitialized data (will be zeroed out by the
runtime startup code).

For more detailed information, you can either use linker map files, or
analyze the output of avr-nm.  If you look at my extended example code
(ftp://ftp.ifbus.de/pub/j_wunsch/avr-demo.tar.gz), the initial comment
contains a rather detailed summary about how the various code sizes in
the generated binary file.

address@hidden         http://www.interface-systems.de/~j