[avr-gcc-list] gcc+binutils under Linux

From: Michel Catudal
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] gcc+binutils under Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:45:12 -0500

I finally got the new gcc program to compile last night with no errors but
have some comment and questions to those who know.

There has been several months that I've been trying to get the new stuff to
compile. It has been broken since somewhere around october or november 2000.

So far I've not been able to get a straight answer as to what happened exactly.
As I was reading some README files I've noticed that the gcc team has combined
the two. Despite this fact the distribution is still made of two different
pieces by different group of people. Unless you know exactly what to do
there is no way in hell that you will get the two to work together for the
avr. Everyone I've talked to so far that are not involved in the project
tell me of errors in compilation much like what I got.

So after reading that bit of info I copied the directories on the binutils
tree over to the gcc tree and compiled. It barfed on some C++ errors. I figured
that since they appear to be errors of the gcc compiler that binutils might have
some broken files so I copied over the original tree of gcc back to whatever
I had. I reconfigured, compiled and it did its job without a single errors.
There are a lot of errors which are flagged as warning like compare between
unsigned and signed but that's another issue.

What has confused me in the whole episode is why there is no obvious mention
that you must combine the two to get anything to work.

I haven't tried the last approach with the new CVS but I would assume that it
shouldn't
be much different than with the snapshots.

I will test to see if this works as expected. If I feel that it does I will post
both the SRPM and RPM files on my web site for those interested. I am using
SuSE 7.1 so these binaries should work on Mandrake and RedHat as well.
I will eventually have Debian package as well for Corel 2nd Edition.

I will try to keep up with the development and if I do find bugs will try
to fix them. I felt that I must first get the darn thing to compile before I
would attempt to make any search and fix bugs tasks.

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.