Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATMega 103 and avr-gcc?, YES!, but watch out for Pony

From: Dan Larson
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATMega 103 and avr-gcc?, YES!, but watch out for PonyProg ...
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:58:33 -0600

I am currently using the atmega103 and avr-gcc, but I have just started. It
seems
to work well.

Watch out for PonyProg with the atmega103 ! I spent^h^h^h^h^h wasted much time
"debugging" some 4-bit LCD code on my STK-300. It turns out that PonyProg was
not correctly writing data into the '103 and corrupted instructions caused the
program counter to go wild and wrap around through the reset vector. Use
only AVR-ISP if you value your time. I have the AVR-ISP v 2.7 beta working
OK on my Win NT 4.0 system. The configuration doesn't auto-scan for the LPT
port successfuly, but setting it to LPT1 seems to work well enough even with the
printer driver on the same port.

A fellow STk-300 user tried my code (Thank You!) and it worked fine. When he
told me what he used to program *his* '103, I suddenly realized what the big
difference
was between our setups and I gave AVR-ISP a try. Sure enough... it now works!
How many times do I need to re-learn *that* lesson again ? ;-\

Good Luck!

Dan