[avr-gcc-list] AvrX 2.6, for GCC and IAR compilers available

From: Larry Barello
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] AvrX 2.6, for GCC and IAR compilers available
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 20:50:15 -0700

Today, I published version 2.6 of AvrX: a priority driven, multitasking
real time scheduler.  This version is basically version 2.5b with some
minor changes and a lot of source text change to allow it to be built for
either the IAR ICCAVR compiler or GCC 2.97 or above (I used 3.0...)

The release notes are at:

http://www.barello.net/avrx/index.htm

you can shortcut to the particular release at

http://www.barello.net/avrx/AvrX-2.6/index.htm

The release ZIP file contains the kernel source, sample code, test cases
and makefiles that can build either the IAR or the GCC versions.

AvrX is a small Real Time Operating System (RTOS) that has about 35 API in
tasking, semaphores, timer management, message queues and single step
support.  It comes with a modest debug monitor that allows single stepping
individual tasks, examining memory and task contexts (registers).

I did this port mainly to see how the IAR compiler was compared to the GCC
compiler.  IAR has some advantages over GCC (much better debug support in
windows) but in my main robotic application the smaller IAR code size was
more than made up for with the larger runtime support libraries.
Essentially both were a push.  YMMV.

Cheers
Larry Barello
http://www.barello.net