Fw: [avr-gcc-list] Here's the most bug-free binary of GCC

From: Larry Barello
Subject: Fw: [avr-gcc-list] Here's the most bug-free binary of GCC
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 07:52:06 -0700

I have an ~7k application of which ~6k is C code.  The 20010606 release
compiles my application with identical results compared to the 20010423 and
an earlier release (all 3.0) using the -Os switch.  An early release of 3.1
(in march) compiles slightly smaller code (~16 bytes/6k)  The current
release (0606) compiles apparently error free code with -O3 (I don't use
the clib other than fp), but the executable size is larger. e.g.

20010606 -0s -> 0x7cf0
20010606 -O3 -> 0x7d32

I have been pretty happy with all releases using -Os since March.  I look
forward to the 3.1 release with improved register allocation as that is one
of the weak points with GCC right now.

GCC is one great compiler.  I just have to change one define in my
makefiles to rebuild for any suitable target!  Hats off to Denis, Marek,
Michael, Gunnar and all the others who have made this possible.

Now, if Atmel can deliver .elf support in astudio...

Larry Barello
http://www.barello.net