RE: [avr-gcc-list] Sorry...

From: Dean Ferreyra
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Sorry...
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 11:50:17 -0800

Victor,

> Maybe I should have mentioned that I use
> the AVR-GCC for windows (allas, sad but true :-) ),
> I downloaded it from http://8-bit.at/avr .

I am not familiar with that version.  I am also using avr-gcc on a Windows
(2000) system.

I think I may have made things worse for you!  I don't know the answer to
your problem.  Maybe the version of avr-gcc that you're using is not
compatible with the latest version of libc.  Maybe someone else on the list
knows what is going on.

On the other hand, I thought I would tell you how I get avr-gcc up on my
machine in case you want to try it.  It ensures that you have the lastest
binutils and gcc and you'll get a system that works with the latest libc.  I
have to say, thought, that I don't know if this is feasible with a slow
connection.

I use Cygwin (http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/) to provide a Unix-like
environment on my Windows machine.  It's pretty painless since Cygnus
provides the binaries.  Then I download the latest CVS sources for binutil
and gcc and make them.  Here are some instructions on using CVS to get
binutils sources:  http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/.  And here are some
instructions on using CVS to get gcc sources: http://gcc.gnu.org/cvs.html.
It can be an involved process, but if you're up to it, I think its a good
way to get avr-gcc running on Windows.  I used to use the snapshots
(ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/binutils/snapshots/ and
ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/), but at some point they stopped
tracking the CVS sources and Marek Michalkiewicz suggested CVS and I've
never looked back.

At the end of this, I've included Marek's posted reply to some of my
questions that got me started with CVS.

Good luck!

Dean Ferreyra