Re: [avr-gcc-list] Optimization?

From: Chris Baugher
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Optimization?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:46:35 -0600 (CST)

You're welcome. When timing is important you have to be mindful of things
like clock speed and how many clock cycles it takes to do things. The
compiler makes it more confusing because the code generated is not always
what you think it's going to be, depending on the level of optimization
used.

A useful thing to do I have found is to generate a list file during the
compile. Then try compiling with diferent levels of optimization and
compare the list files. This will give you an idea of what the difference
is between the optimized and unoptimized code at the assembly level. Keep
in mind though that the list file isn't always exactly the code that goes
into the executable. The linker can remove subroutines that never get
called. That tripped me up awhile back.