[avr-gcc-list] OT: Power Supplies

From: Tony Mahar
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] OT: Power Supplies
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 23:07:32 -0400

I appologize for this being off topic, but I cannot think of a better place to ask this question.

When the building of small circuits with these AVRs, what have you guys used as AC DC converters.  I don't mean the big ones from jameco, I am asking what are good designs for building ones own power supply using transformers, bridge rectifiers, and capacitors.  Something arround 1.5-2.0 amps.

I know those are the core components, but what are references or equations to minimize the ripple.  For regulation, can i use the PS to drop down to 12v and then a regulator IC to bring it to 5?

Thanks!
Tony