Re: [avr-gcc-list] Dumb C question

From: Jeff Dairiki
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Dumb C question
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:37:40 -0700

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:17:34 -0700
"Larry Barello" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am slogging into the future and learning how to use "enums".  Is there
> an elegant way to find out how many items there are in a particular
> enum?

I don't think there's a "built in" way to do this.  It clashes
a bit with the zen of enums, I think...  (Why do you need to know
the number of values in the enum?)

One way (I think the "normal one") is something like:

  enum my_state_e {
    STATE_INIT,
    STATE_FIRST,
    STATE_INTERMED,
    STATE_FINAL,
    NUM_STATES
  };

This relies on the fact that the enum values are assigned
values starting from 0 (by default).  So the (int) value of
STATE_INIT is 0, and the value of NUM_STATES is 4.