RE: [avr-gcc-list] Solved! :- makefile ignoring parts!

From: Waldner, Ed
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Solved! :- makefile ignoring parts!
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:30:06 -0500

http://www.keil.com/support/docs/1584.htm

This is one of the most comprehensive references I've seen on the web regarding
Intel HEX files. Your question should be answered in the excerpt below.

Begin Quote Here

Extended Segment Address Records (HEX86)

Extended segment address records-also known as HEX86 records-contain bits 4-19
of the data address segment. The extended segment address record always has two
data bytes and appears as follows:

:020000021200EA

where:

02 is the number of data bytes in the record.
0000 is the address field. For the extended segment address record, this field
is always 0000.
02 is the record type 02 (an extended segment address record).
1200 is the segment of the address.
EA is the checksum of the record and is calculated as
01h + NOT(02h + 00h + 00h + 02h + 12h + 00h).

When an extended segment address record is read, the extended segment address
stored in the data field is saved and is applied to subsequent records read
from the Intel HEX file. The segment address remains effective until changed by
another extended address record.

The absolute-memory address of a data record is obtained by adding the address
field in the record to the shifted-address data from the extended segment
address record. The following example illustrates this process.

Address from the data record's address field     2462
Extended segment address record data field      1200
                                             --------
Absolute memory address                      00014462

End Quote Here

-Ed