Re: [avr-gcc-list] key mapping

From: Helmut 'Kolbi' Kolb
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] key mapping
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 05:42:38 +0100

Hi Marlin!

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002, Marlin Unruh wrote:
> I have switched to Linux and am using Vim as my editor for programming. Could
> someone give me a little help on key mapping. I want to swap the cap locks
> and escape keys to make it easier to switch modes in Vim. I think it has

This is a good idea.

> something to do with xmodmap but am not sure of the usage. Don't be afraid of
> getting to basic.  :)

You are right. My way of doing this is:
Write a ".xmodmap" file for your keyboard with "xkeycaps". Then exchange
"Escape" with "Caps_Lock". After this you have to install the new keymap
with "xmodmap ~/.xmodmap" (or the name you gave the ".xmodmap" file).
This last step you have to do each time you start the X-Server and can
be automated in your ~/.xinitrc or your ~/.xsession depending on the
startup of your X-Session.

Yours
--
Trust me, I'm a lawyer..
you ask why? here it's now Tuesday, December 03, 2002 05:33!