Re: [avr-gcc-list] Newbie Question: How to get started?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Newbie Question: How to get started?
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:44:14 +0100 (MET)

>I'm having a really hard time finding some begginer's documentation
>that really covers the entire process of using AVR-GCC from start
>through interfacing with AVR Studio 3.5 and through all the various
>other steps required.

That's probably because those who are most active in development and
documentation of avr-gcc/avr-libc don't use Windows, or at least don't
use AVRstudio.  That doesn't mean we would reject that chapter of the
documentation, should anyone really volunteer to write it.

However, i've been lurking on the AVRfreaks forum for quite a while
now, and my very personal opinion is now that simulation, even with
something that looks like a good simulation tool like AVRstudio, is
not the general way to go.  Simulation is good for a proof of concept,
in particular to test some algorithm that is relatively independent of
the hardware, but then, even a tool with poor IO simulatin support
like simulavr is sufficient.  For the rest, go out to the real
world^H^H^H^H^Hchip.  If you can afford it, use a JTAG ICE.