Re: [avr-gcc-list] GDB help

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] GDB help
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 09:50:14 -0700

On 1 Apr 2003 at 8:26, Ralph Mason wrote:

> Let me begin with - I have no GDB experience.

Neither do I, but I can answer a couple of questions.

> Is there any documentation anywhere on using gdb with AVR's. I have
> the 5.3 version that is packages with WinAVR.

AFAIK, there's just the GDB manual that comes with WinAVR.

> How to I make it run as a simulator - is that possible?

You would have to use SimulAVR (see link in WinAVR README). However,
SimulAVR cannot currently be built for the Windows platform. :-/ It's
on a todo list.

> Are there any front end guis to GDB that will work with the AVR
> version?

1. Insight. But it's an *integrated* front-end. Insight is built as
GDB but contains other code to link to Tcl/Tk libs to provide a front-
end.

2. DDD. <http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/> but AFAIK they provide
source that has to be built.

3. GVD. <http://libre.act-europe.fr/gvd/>. It is a separate GUI that
can work with any command-line GDB, and they provide Windows
executables. Other than that, I don't anything about it.

HTH,
Eric