Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-as and the dot "."

From: Daniel Kruszyna
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-as and the dot "."
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 19:51:37 -0400

> file a.out
> a.out: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^
> Ok, this is NOT an executable.

Thanks, you're right.  I was using avr-ld to make an executable
but my list file came from avr-as.  I'm now using avr-objdump
to get my list file so I can see what's really there.  So now
I know that the dot works.  Which has led me to another question...

I'm writing a forth kernel which uses a linked list to store the
dictionary.  Each word has a header like:

link
flags
length
name
code

I would like each link to point to the header of the previous word.
I'm currently using the following the create the links:

.word link
.set link,.-2

The problem is that all of the link fields get set to the final value
of link.  I can see now why this happens since they are calculated in
a separate step from the assembly.  But how do I get the links to point
back to the previous word?  Thanks again and I hope my question makes
sense.

-- Daniel